If you’ve got an external USB HDD that goes to sleep in a couple of mins of inactivity and for some games you play off that HDD you get the “unable to read disc” error because of this, there’s fix for you.
- Download Dashlaunch 2.28 or later (Google for it) and install/update following THIS tutorial.
- Once installed, look for the launch.ini file on your HDD and add the following two command lines (without 1 or 2):
- hddalive = true
- hddtimer = 210 (where this number represents the seconds interval at which your HDD will be polled with random 16 bytes of data in a text file.
- Save your launch.ini file. (CTRL+S in Windows).
- Open your HDD and create a .txt file on it named alive.txt
This is it. Now you’ll see that your HDD won’t spin down anymore and you’ll notice strange characters, letters and numbers being written on it at the interval you’ve setup in the alive.txt file on your external HDD.
Enjoy and feel free to share with your friends or others who need this!